Welcome to Krishnans page

This blog is a joint effort of two sisters, Vidhya G. Krishnan and G. Sukanya Krishnan to share their views on different topics.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Die Alive!

- Vidhya Krishnan

In this article I would like to address what is considered as the ‘dark’ side of life. ‘Death’. What is death? Is it the ‘end’ or a beginning?

I met Mr. Goodman last weekend. He is a good friend of mine. I like his way of living with enthusiasm and happiness. I have always seen him with a smiley face in spite of what goes on around him. Last weekend I had a bit of my down side. I heard about an accident that killed 4 people. This news triggered my thoughts on death. I felt like discussing with someone who can give me some insight on this ‘dark’ side.

When I met Mr. Goodman last weekend, he was all smiling. I asked him, “what is the secret of your smile and happiness? How do you manage to be happy always?”. He asked me back, “Do I need a reason to be happy? Happiness is inside me and I access it whenever I want.” That was quite an intriguing answer, I thought.

I said, “Well, I am feeling down today. I heard about an accident that took away lives. I would like to hear about your view on death” He said, “Ok. First of all let me tell you what is my view on life. I see life as a journey between ‘birth’ and ‘death’. When we are born our mind is clear and simple. Life looks simple too. Our needs are very few. We are happy. Slowly we start to accumulate information some of which turns into labels. This ‘I’ becomes partitioned into many labels like doctor, mother or father etc. Based on the attachments we create to these labels, our mind stumbles in the past. Just observe how much of your attention is in the ‘now’.

Death frees us from all these labels. Because of our attachment to these, we have the fear of losing them. That is why fear of death. If we can practice freeing ourselves from the labels before death, death won’t be painful rather pleasant.”

He smiled at me. I asked him, “Do you mean we should not have any relationship with anyone and live like a sanyasi?”

He said, “No. Not at all. Relationship is different from bondage. Having a relationship is ok, but bondage is painful. Even if I have many labels, I don’t have to become attached to any. Even if we don’t want death is the truth that frees us from all these labels. One needs to learn how to be free from the bondages the labels have created. Die alive! Die to our past! Not to revise the past unnecessarily. What do you gain by revisiting your past all the time?”

That was an interesting evening with my friend. Although these are all words but I could read within his lines, the intension or the message it carried. I came home with a nice feeling. Free from labels! Die alive! Die to the past! These three sentences are still lingering in my ears.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I liked the idea of "happiness from a source" in preference to the idea of "being happy about".

     

Post a Comment

<< Home