Welcome to Krishnans page

This blog is a joint effort of two sisters, Vidhya G. Krishnan and G. Sukanya Krishnan to share their views on different topics.

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Contemplation on CONTENTMENT

-Sukanya Krishnan

Self Contentment, to me, is the result of internal realization of who I am and what do I possess and how unique I am , which in turn results in further realization of one’s inner potential and total freedom from the bondages of expectations, complaints, disappointments, anger, ego and many such vices. A contended soul uses the physical eyes not to look out and compare with others but to look at others for tips for self development. Self contentment does not mean that the process of self development ceases but the process becomes much effortless and even inspiring for the others.

Being contended – Does it mean being enlightened? I feel Enlightenment is a process which doesn't end till there is existence. Then is contentment also a process which can only be continually improved and achieving the same would result in liberation? Indeed yes, till there is learning, changes and development are a constant process. In this process of life, nothing is permanent and what you hold as yourself also is subject to changes. Then how do I stay contended all time? Being aware of the self constantly helps out a lot. Almost 16 hrs of our day we spend watching outside. Do I watch myself? Am I aware of whats going on inside me? According to me, tuning the mind to listen to it for a while helps out a lot in the process of creating self awareness.

Contentment actually takes 2 different levels – Gross and Subtle. A gross level is always shallow, shaky and vulnerable to external conflicts. Subtle level is the outcome of self realization and requires sustenance. I still can bring back my childhood memories where I used to feel contended with things of small values like spending my holidays on a swing made from a sari hung from the hook in the ceiling, watching a black and white movie on DD during Sunday evenings, learning cycling without falling even once, using my first ink pen, watching birds, buying a new dress etc etc. But nowadays as I grow up the gross elements for gross contentment is taking a much bigger form. If I keep on chasing these gross level elements that might satisfy me for a meager amount of time, when do I realize that this chase will be a never ending one like the case of a dog chasing its own tail? It is time now to open the eyes of wisdom and look inside for the real elements of contentment and move on to the next level.

When there is so much of work to do within ourselves we are always doing something else as work in this mechanical world which just results in adding up to the chaos that is already in plenty inside. Then does it mean that one should stop working and remain idle? Nay… Extremes are not safe at all always. A balance is what makes a harmony.


"Serenity isn't freedom from the storm, rather peace within the storm" - is the truth after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home